What is Meta Networks?
Meta Networks is a NaaS that provides enterprise WAN and security offered as a fully managed service. It has been architected to take advantage of the cloud ecosystem, addressing the network complexity, security and TCO enterprises face. As more and more applications migrate to the cloud and private data centers, a centralized platform is essential for unifying remote branches and mobile user connectivity regardless of location.
When resources and services are highly distributed, and users are consuming content from many different sources, it becomes very challenging to secure and enforce common policies. To solve this, Meta Networks has introduced a Software-Defined Perimeter, connecting all resources to a secure overlay which interconnects sites, remote users, SaaS providers and CSP’s. Centralized authentication simplifies administration and ensures common control points for access control. The identity enforcement and policy control is overlay-wide vs. site specific.
- Remote user VPN (IPSec or OpenVPN)
- Cloud Service Provider
- On-prem hypervisor
- Remote site/branch office
How is a site or DC connected to the Meta Networks overlay?
Clouds, branches offices, DC’s require a Meta Port virtual appliance that will be used as the secure gateway into the overlay. The Meta Port extends the SDP to ensure all policies, user-based access control and traffic control is maintained throughout the overlay. The Meta Port is a lightweight footprint that is completely virtualized.
The Meta NaaS provides a dense backbone of servers, globally located, dynamically scaled-out and connected by fast, optimized data lines, called Points of Presence or PoPs. The PoP backbone enables low latency access to and from any service worldwide, and local access to internet resources.
Traditional vs. Unified Platforms
Old: Connected silos, mixed mediums for transport, different SLA’s and reliability
New: Common control points, enforced security solution-wide (at the perimeter)
Meta Networks solves these challenges with a unified cloud overlay to connect all DC’s and resources, leveraging centralized control and visibility. A high-level architecture overview is shown below:
- Global backbone, end-to-end identity
- Connect your way - always-on VPN, or browser-based HTTPS access
- Cloud-delivered internet security
- 100% SDN, policy-driven, as-a-service
- No need to rip and replace
- Full API support
- SAML and user directory native integration
- Global private access (VPN Replacement)
- Hybrid cloud connectivity
- Cross-cloud connectivity
- Remote offices & teams (SD-WAN)
- Secure application access (SDP)
- Cloud Security Platform
Here are some key uses for the Meta Networks overlay solution that Arctiq has been architecting and deploying.
- Browser-based secure access:
- Each user centrally authenticates to a portal and is presented with the applications or services based on group membership
- Removes the need to maintain a separate point solution as well as multiple client installers, policies, etc.
- Limited access for contractors without the heavy on-boarding burden
- Enterprise VPN replacement:
- IPSec or OpenVPN support for all major operating systems
- No physical hardware to buy, licensing to maintain, or firmware updates to manage
- Global accessibility, low-loss, predictable-latency access with built-in failover
- Site-to-site connectivity:
- Fully routed and secured by centralized policies
- Removes the requirement for private lines, direct connections, costly circuits
- Redundancy by incorporating multiple ISP’s with redundant Meta Ports
- Hybrid cloud:
- Supported on all major cloud services providers
- Agile, bring up a new Meta Port in minutes connected to the global overlay
- Cloud Security:
- “Bring your own NFV” - integrate NFV products into Meta’s network and set the relevant security and routing policies in a simple, centralized UI management
- DNS security
- Optional Secure Web Gateway with service-chaining - combine with Meta Networks VPN for always-on security
Want to learn more about Meta Networks or how it could secure and benefit your environment? Take the first step and engage Arctiq to help with architecture, Proof of Concept, or implementation services.